My all time favorite dessert is my Mom’s chocolate chip cookie bars. That and my Grandma’s chocolate cake. There is nothing like Mom and Grandma’s baking is there?! Cookie bars in my opinion are superior to regular cookies. They are easier to make and have that extra soft goodness that regular cookies can’t always achieve. I’ve made the chocolate chip cookie bars but this was my first attempt at sugar cookie bars. Let me tell you they are amazing! Definitely going into my regular dessert rotation. They are also easier to cut into shapes. I decided to make mine into cute conversation hearts.
for the sugar cookie bars:
1 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
for the frosting:
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with a mixer until smooth. Add the eggs. Mix in vanilla. Mix for 1 minute.
2. In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix until it forms a doughy texture.
3. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with aluminum foil for easy removal. Pour the mixture into the pan. Use your fingers to spread the mixture out so it covers the whole pan.
4. Bake 12-14 minutes. Until the top is lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Mine were done in 13 minutes but I know every oven is a little bit different.
Frosting time! 1. In a large bowl cream butter until smooth.
2. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, about a third at a time. Mix on medium to medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the vanilla and milk. Mix for another minute.
Allow the bars to cool. Once they are cool cut them into hearts with a cookie cutter. I used neon food coloring for the frosting but only used a few drops in each to keep them on the lighter side. You could use any colors or just white. After I frosted the cookies I wrote conversation heart sayings with light red frosting in a Wilton candy making bottle.
How cute are these?! Easy and fun to make. Great for a Valentine’s party or to hand out to friends.
Thanks for partying with me, Val Event Gal!